Titles in the Crossref system are created from publisher metadata with the first deposit of a journal, book, conference proceeding, or report. The publisher determines the exact title and ISSN to include in the deposit.
Title and ISSN combinations are not verified with an external agency, but a check digit validation is performed on every ISSN submitted in a deposit. Once a title or ISSN is introduced into the Crossref system a new publication with the same title or ISSN can't be created. Deposits containing title/ISSN combinations that do not match the tite/ISSN combination in the Crossref system will be rejected.
Although publishers can't edit titles once they have been created, Crossref administrators can adjust the following types of title information when necessary:
- Add or adjust ISSNs: correct ISSN errors or add additional ISSNs not included in a submission
- Add or adjust alternate spellings of titles: alternate title spellings and abbreviations are recorded for each title and used in query matching. They can be included in the <abbrev> elements in deposits or we can add them for you.
- Correct title spelling: we'll need to correct these for you, please open a support ticket.
- Merge titles: if two title entries have been created in error, we'll merge the titles entries into one upon request.
- Delete titles: titles submitted by mistake can be deleted once DOIs assigned to the title have been migrated to another title.
Note that the above adjustments affect only the title record in the Crossref system, you'll also need to re-deposit your content to correct any errors introduced in the initial submission.